Welcome | Feininger House | Blaubuch | Kurt Weill | Library | Contact | Home
Exhibition
Kurt-Weill-Centre / Feininger Master's House



Exhibition
Kurt-Weill-Centre / Feininger Master's House



Exhibition
Kurt-Weill-Centre / Feininger Master's House



Kurt-Weill-Centre at the Feininger House

The Kurt-Weill-Center is located in one of the houses that were planned by the architect Walter Gropius and built in 1925/26. Together with his family, the Bauhaus-master Lyonel Feininger lived in this unique building, which is now part of the UNESCO world heritage, from 1926 until 1932.

Feininger was born in New York on July 17, 1871. In order to study drawing and painting, he moved to Berlin in 1887. He first encountered the Bauhaus in 1919, when he was appointed member of the masters’ council of the Bauhaus in Weimar by Walter Gropius. There, he was head of the print workshop. In 1926, along with the Bauhaus, he relocated to Dessau, where he remained a master without teaching responsibilities.  When the Bauhaus was closed down in Dessau in 1932, Feininger moved to Berlin with his family. Finally in 1937, he left Germany for New York, where he died on January 15, 1956.

Even though Lyonel Feininger and Kurt Weill show similarities in terms of their places of residence (Dessau, Berlin, New York), it is most likely that they never met. Just like Lyonel Feininger, Kurt Weill was a member of the November group, an artist association that was foanded after World War I. Lyonel Feininger was highly interested in music and played the piano himself. It was the music of Johann Sebastian Bach that fascinated him the most. Being an autodidact, he composed some fugues for organ and piano.

During the national socialist period, the masters’ houses, including the Feininger House, were remodelled. For instance, partition walls were added. Later on, the remodeling continued with stairway and studio windows being lined with brickwork and replaced with smaller wooden windows and changes being made to the size or order of the windows.

During the GDR era, a doctor’s office followed by a policlinic were located inside the Feininger House. Finally in 1992, work started on restoring the building’s original state. In 1994 those works were completed and the Kurt-Weill-Center relocated there the same year. Through restauration the changes made in the preceding decades were made andone and the original large steel-framed windows were reconstructed. Furthermore, one discovered traces of the unusual and original coloring of Feininger’s rooms. Therefore, the color scheme could also be restoconc. Just like in the 1920’s, one can marvel at over 40 different colours now.

Aside from the Feininger House, you can also visit the master houses of Muche/ Schlemmer, Kandisky/ Klee and the Bauhaus Dessau. All these sights are located in the immediate vicinity.


Please check out the following websites for further information: 

www.meisterhaeuser.de
www.bauhaus-dessau.de
www.dessau-rosslau-tourismus.de


Other recommended sights in Dessau and the nearby area are for instance the „Garden Realm Dessau-Woerlitz“ www.gartenreich.com, the „Anhalt Art Gallery“ www.georgium.de and the city museum www.stadtgeschichte.dessau-rosslau.de.









Opening hours
March - October:
11 am to 5 pm
every day

April - September:
10 am to 5 pm
every day


Contact
Kurt-Weill-Centre
Ebertallee 63
D-06846 Dessau-Rosslau

Tel.: +49 340 - 619595
Fax: +49 340 - 611907
© Roßdeutscher & Bartel GbR, Leipzig, 2017